Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hot House Flower and the 9 Plants of Desire

I love reading. I've been living on the books I already have in my house, and I'm not starving, but I wanted something new, different and fun. So with a few minutes to spare between work and a meeting at my daughter's school I went to the locally owned and operated bookstore just a few blocks away from the school.

I can always count on this bookstore to have something interesting. I talked myself into going specifically to buy a book based on blog posts written by a native New Orleanian PostKatrina; a book by Mark Folse called "Carry Me Home". I found it and then I wandered around looking for something fun to read. A bright fuchsia book with blue and yellow flowers on it caught my eye: Hot House Flower and the 9 Plants of Desire.
Hot House Flower & the 9 Plants of Desire

It was exactly what I thought it would be fun, a mini vacation and a quick weekend read; but embedded in the fun were bits of wisdom that were drawn from nature. Given that one of the key teachings we get from Aradia's words is that Nature is the Great Teacher, it is wonderful to find a fun book that uses Nature to teach deeper life lessons. The plant "lore" embedded in the book provides an interesting example of how any of us can draw lessons from Natures. The lessons the main character learns aren't always straight forward or even logical. What is interesting in this is that the book shows that sometimes we have to let go of what we have been taught is logical and just listen and go with the flow. Remember I'm trained as a scientist so I know how silly this will sound to some. Sometimes the best way to learn is from our mistakes and scientists don't really understand human intuition . So I recommend that you read the book, let it wash over you, go with the flow, but keep a look out for lessons from the Great Teacher, Nature.

No comments: